Are you one of our sewing friends who “used to” sew clothes, or would “like to” sew clothes – but getting good fit or complicated instructions are keeping you from it? We’ve fixed that! The Fit Doctor will be visiting each of our five stores to give you just the right prescription (and a custom fit pattern!) for garment sewing success!
“The Fit Doctor” – aka Judy Kessinger – is your host for FIT Fashion & Fun Day! Size doesn’t matter – whether you’re designing and creating your own clothes or just tweaking what you already have! She’ll show you how to make simple fitting changes to create your comfortable style. Learn how to use the FitNice system to fashion a whole new look with a whole new wardrobe.
We’re going to be making The Surena Jacket at FIT Fashion & Fun Day – a versatile, easy garment that works for all ages and any occasion!
The Fit Doctor will personally measure you and make the pattern for you! Where else can you get a custom fit pattern, sew up a new garment, and share the day with sewing friends?! The Fit Doctor is all about stress free sewing – so we’re going to help keep it simple, quick and stress free by providing sergers to whip out your new creation!
If you haven’t used a serger before you’re in for a sewing awakening! And if you have you know why they’re an essential tool in any sewing room!
Your serger can cut your sewing time substantially (who can’t use more time?!) — the fastest home sewing machines may stitch at 1,000 stitches per minute (spm) — but you can go 1,500 spm on a serger! It trims off excess seam allowance or just neatens edges (if you got it just to clean finish edges – you have so much more to explore!) – while overlocking your seams for a professional, industry finished look. And it’s PERFECT for KNITS! Seams will stretch but not pop! Features like differential feed keep your knit from stretching out and ruining your garment!
Do you need a serger? Yes. You do. A serger is a construction, embellishment, creative tool that complements – but doesn’t replace your sewing machine. Kind of how a microwave complements your oven!
There’s so much you can do with it!
- Professional looking garments, knit or woven;
- High quality knit garments with stretch and flexibility – and no popping seams!
- Rolled hems you can’t create on a sewing machine – perfect for hemming or edging sheer or lightweight fabrics – beautifully and FAST! Even seaming sheers! And creating elegant or fun cloth napkins professionally done;
- Easily and neatly attach elastic;
- Fast shirring or gathering, even attaching ruffles to a flat fabric!
- Use a “fluffy” specialty thread like Woolly Nylon with a wide 3 thread stitch, short length, and finish the edges of fleece – looks like a fuzzy binding and you can whip out blankets in no time!
- Coverstitch hems on knits – this is the double row of stitching you find on ready to wear hems that allow your hems to stretch;
- Flatlock or use the reverse side of the coverstitch to replicate ready to wear activewear;
- A “wave” stitch adds creative edging to table top item, clothing, crafts, more!
There are models to fit every budget, and of course free instruction classes!
You’ll love creating your custom fit Surena Jacket quickly and easily on these machines! So register now while there’s still space! You’ll get your pattern, personal fitting, lunch, and a fun day with sewing friends you’ll leave with a new jacket! See below for what to bring, fabric tips, dates and times! See you there!
WHAT TO BRING:
- 2 yards of your favorite knit fabric
- Thread for the serger
- Sewing supplies
FABRIC SUGGESTION: Sophia Knit, Sheer Knit, French Terry
- Tuesday, March 12th, Temecula, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 13th, Corona, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Friday, March 15th, Huntington Beach, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Saturday, March 16th, Mission Viejo, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 19th, Brea, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Size doesn’t matter — whether you’re designing and creating your own clothes or just tweaking what you already have. Let the Fit Doctor show you how to make simple fitting changes to create your comfortable style. Learn how to use the FitNice system to fashion a whole new look with a whole new wardrobe!